Thursday 2 October 2014

Opal Hacks (Sydney, Australia)


"The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus" –Bruce Lee


Since my last Opal card post I have fine-tuned and honed in my money saving skills in relation to this system. I've learnt new tricks from others so I only feel it is fair I share this with others. 

For those of you that have not had a chance to read up on it yet, I suggest you have a read of the original post to give you more context on this post.

Everyone can save using the Opal with these hacks. They aren't even really hacks because they are perfectly okay and within the rules of using the card. According to a recent SMH article, the transport minister was happy for people to exploit it. Who am I to argue with the minister?

Ms Berejiklian said she wanted people to use more transport and was glad they were finding cheaper ways to travel.

"I love hearing people tell me 'I am catching transport more now because it feels like I am not paying for it' ", the minister said.

The only cost is your time, so if you are patient enough, then be prepared to have additional cash in your account each and every week you travel to work.

I estimate that I spend about 1 hour 40 minutes doing my Opal hacks each week, but I save about 40% off my weekly Opal trip. Some of you might think 1 hour 40 minutes is a complete waste of time and I'm completely out of my mind - and you might be right. BUT if I can retire just that tiny bit earlier, I'm going to try to do it!

Let me try to defend my actions - Most of the 40 minutes involves walking and or waiting for the trains/buses. The 1 hour part is all about waiting for the offpeak period on Mondays, which start after 630pm. I'm not the fittest person around by any means and I have little motivation to exercise normally. Opal is a great way for me to get some exercise, but also save a lot on an unavoidable expense each week. To pass the time, I am often walking around and exploring the great city of ours. Just this week I estimate I would have clocked up 90 minutes worth of walking exercise alone.

Without further ado, here is the a simple plan that you can copy to maximise how much you can save.


Monday
1.     Pre-7am tap on: Off Peak
2.     Lunch tap on: Off Peak
3.     Lunch buddy tap on: Off Peak (ensure >60 minute gap between trips)
4.     Pre-530pm Bus: One or 2 stops (this actually costs $2.10 - cheaper than any train)
5.     After-630 Off Peak (ensure >60 minute gap between trips)
Tuesday
6.     Pre-7am tap on: Off Peak
7.     Lunch tap on: Off Peak
8.     Lunch buddy tap on: Off Peak (ensure >60 minute gap between trips)

Voilà! 8 Trips in time for Tuesday evening home trip. Enjoy the rest of the week free. The further out you live, the more you can save.

Once you have your 8, why not take a leisurely ferry trip out on the harbour? Take time out and smell the roses, - enjoy the beautiful city we are lucky to live in.

How the lunch time buddy system works:
If you work close by to the train station and can go to lunch times that are different from your colleague, you can assist each other in getting an off peak trip.
Tap on using your card to go to your destination. Tap off using your own card
Return to your original destination by tapping on using your friend's card. Remember to tap off using their card as well.
During their lunch time, they will repeat the favour :)

Maximise the savings:
  • Use the off peak times for trains to save 30% off your fares (Travel outside of the times 7-9am & 4-6.30pm). The bosses will think you're super hard working by coming in early and staying back late!
  • Lunch time trips
  • Lunch time trips with buddies
  • Try to fit in as many short trips as possible. Catch a short bus trip if you need to
  • If you go from station A to station B, but then walk to another station that is NOT B and tap on, if you go to station C, it will count as 2 trips, while bypassing the 60 minute transfer window. e.g. Station A > B. Then walk to Station C > A will count as 2 trips apparently. DOES NOT work for city stations, so don't bother trying for any city circle ones, it is meant to only work for suburban stations
  • $15 is the maximum amount you will be charged per day on the Opal system as an adult. You can use this to your advantage by clocking up enough trips to hit the $15 cap. Let's say that your 6th trip put you at $14.85. The last trip you make that triggers this cap will count, but you will pay a discounted fare - saving you even more! In this example, the 7th trip will only cost $0.15 as you don't pay any more than the daily cap. I can get 7 trips for $15 using this method if I get all off-peak fares. 
  • If you recharge your Opal card at any Woolies that allows you to top up your card, you will earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point for every dollar you top up over $30. It is then in the best interest to top up less frequently, and in bulk once your balance gets low. You also get the fuel discounts!
  • If you have a paywave % cash back rewards on your transaction account, you can get discounts by using paywave at Woolies top up

No comments:

Post a Comment